Thursday, July 27, 2006

Tough decision

Hey group,


I wanted to update you on my Uncle that you have been praying for. This past Monday he wasn't breathing properly and the nursing home where he is at had to call the ambulance to take him to the hospital. After running some tests they have asked the family to make a decision. He failed the swallow test so he is unable to orally take in food. The Doctor told us last night that a feeding tube thru the nose was out of the question because he would just pull it out. So the only option would be to do a surgical procedure where they place a feeding tube thru his skin into his stomach. He would have to be fed thru that tube for the remainder of his life. They are still unsure if he had another stroke on Monday or if it was just his Kidneys failing to flush out the medication he is on and the nursing home over medicating him. Anyway, if he doesn't have the tube implanted he has no way of getting nourishment and he would end up dying. There is no way to tell how long he would have to endure this before the Lord took him home. This decision has to be made within the next few days and my Grandmother and my other uncle (his brother and sister) have to make that . As most of you know my grandmother is not in real good health either and this is really adversely affecting her as you can imagine. My heart is breaking for my Uncle. Last night he was in so much agony that he would just hollar out, "HELP ME, HELP ME LORD". You really can't make out most of what he is saying but this was unmistakable. He did calm down for a minute as I prayed with him and asked the Lord to carry this burden and relieve some of his pain. I then asked him to sing for me because he used to love to sing old hymns. He began to sing a old hymn that he would always sing at the nursing home , if it is possible I thought I saw a slight smile on his face thru all of that pain. Can you imagine being so thristy that you hollar out for help but there is no water to be found. Basically that is where he is at. Today they did swab out his mouth to clear away the dead skin and stuff. I at least have the peace of mind to know with absolute certainty that he will be with the Lord when he passes from this life to the next and for that I am grateful. Please keep him and my family in your prayers. We need the wisdom of God to make a decision that no one on earth should ever have to make. I watched what it did to my Dad as he and his brother and sister had to make that decision with my other grandmother. Please pray for God to intervene immediately. Thanks and God Bless.

3 comments:

Yes, that Cristi said...

getting old is a terrible thing, I have watched all of my grandparents and their siblings degenerate past embarressing to pitiful. I have watched them go from joyful live to wanting to die, to be done. Death sucks. I wish I knew words to comfort you in this situation, all I know is that God is there and with you and that he does have a plan, and this is part of it, even if it seems unnecessary. Small comfort, I know. Well, we are here to listen if you need to rant, even if you can't be 'leader' Craig for a while thats ok, thats what we are here for, right?

Anonymous said...

Jesus,

Come quickly, please, in so many ways.

Love, Us.

Craig said...

The long story short. The family decided to make things as comfortable as possible for my Uncle but not put him thru anymore surgeries and things. I just talked with my family and the nursing home (they sent him back there) called my other Uncle and told him if anyone wants to see him alive they need to come out there tonight. This last week has been one of extreme stress, I leave for Nicaragua tomorrow morning at 6:30am and it just tears me up that I wont be here for his funeral. I was really close to him and I will miss him terribly. Please pray for my family during this time. I wish I could be here for my grandmother during this time but I guess I need to trust the Lord that he has everything under control.