Sunday, December 11, 2005

Trials into triumphs

I wanted to take some time and go over our last meeting. As I told those of you that were there I really felt led to do a series of studies on the book of James. As with most of my discussions I am really looking to learn as much as possible about that topic as much as I am trying to lead and give opinions. I guess the reason why I am so fascinated with the book of James is that most historians believe that James is one of the earlier writings of the N.T. and (although there are some that disagree) most attribute it to James the brother of Jesus. James urged his readers to really try to look at trials from God's attitude. The trial itself was not an occasion for joy, but it could promote joy by becoming an occasion for producing stamina in the life of a committed believer.
This is where I find it so relevent for today's "American" society. Nobody likes pain or trials but we here in the U.S. have taken great strides to do away with any pain in our lifes and if you poll people on the street I would venture to say that most see absolutely no value in trials. With that in mind we could really turn to just about any book in the N.T. or the bible and see how trials are used by God for our good. I choose James, or rather I should say the Holy Spirit placed it in me, because it is one of those writings where the rubber meets the road. As I said at group it is about taking the lemons that life has handed you and making lemonade.When we studied chapter 1 verses 2-8 I saw four keys or imperatives.
  1. In verse 2 we are told to "count it all joy when you fall into various trials"
  2. In verse 3 we are told that "knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience"+
  3. In verse 4 we are commanded "let patience have it's perfect work"
  4. Then in verses 5-8 we read "let him ask of GOD"

So we need to have the knowledge and perspective that adversity can accomplish much good by letting the patient enduring of adversity accomplish its work. All the while using the wisdom God gives in answer to prayer to help put it all together. When this is dome, even trials can be a source of joy for the Christian!

I want to thank you all for your participation in group and I plan on disussing verses 9-11 and possible verses 12-18 at our next group. Remember that we are meeting at Barb's house at 6pm on the 13th to put together the "blessing bags" and to go to the Zoo. Thanks and God bless.

2 comments:

rdmeeker said...

Have fun at the zoo! Say Hi to my Grandma! I'm sure she'll be working.

Craig, it looks like I missed a great home group.I'm so glad that I can check in on our blog and see what I missed.

Craig said...

Hey Robert, we couldn't find your grandma last night. Brandy asked everyone she saw if they knew if she was working. But otherwise we had a great time.
So when are you do home?