Friday, April 21, 2006

The Sacred-Secular Dichotmy

or "Conversations at Dairy Queen Revisted."

Here's an article I read today out of Relevant Magazine, I thought you guys might find a quick and interesting read (part of me likes this article - part of me thinks it's kind of flaky, but overall I think it furthers the conversation we were having at DQ). I pasted it below so you don't have to go offsite to read the whole thing - sorry to take up the whole page with it though!

There is a difference between observation and inhalation.

When a person observes something, they watch or see. It involves looking and bearing witness to an event. Inhalation is another matter; it is the essence of life. It is the rendering of passion and the breadth and scope of synergized being.

There is a difference between missions and holistic Christianity; as a matter of fact, I propose that the word "missions"—when used in a certain sense—does not represent a fully biblical idea. The word (and sadly the idea that is associated with it at times) implies a beginning and a conclusion. There is a focused effort on an objective and a target. There is strategy and a plan—we will “win souls.” Do you ever wonder why Christians sound so militant? I guess that’s a whole other story. I understand the concept of mission, and I don’t get too hung up when the word is used because largely the intention behind the said user is noble and genuine.


I propose a simple idea … holistic Christianity. Rather than falling into the lie that has been perpetrated since the first century—the lie that says that there is a spiritual world and a secular world—we should take another look at Jesus’ words in Matthew when he mandated the disciples to “go and make disciple of all nations.” What does this truly entail? How is an entire nation discipled?

When the followers of Jesus heard this, it made perfect sense; it wasn’t befuddling at all, but likely very encouraging. They thought back to the only nation that had been ultimately discipled by God: Israel.

When Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt, they were a virgin nation. They were exposed to every element that existed. They were laid bare and had no way to live. The law given to Moses, by God, was not just for the Israelites spiritual survival. The law encompassed rules for war and the environment. It addressed health care and education, mass media and communication. The law gave instruction for government and the ethical treatment of the poor. Justice was covered. Business and economics … not a problem! Discipling nations means becoming involved in every aspect of a society’s culture. Inhalation over observation.

Holistic Christianity is nothing more than simple obedience to God. It means that you are true to the gifts that He has endowed you with. There is no secular arena from which we, as followers of Jesus are exempt or restricted form entering. The word secular means "without God," and there is no place on this planet that God cannot operate. We are not to go on missions; we are to live and exist. We are to love God and others with all of our heart, souls, mind and strength. This validates every aspect of an individual … God, himself, tells us that we are to use the very gifts He has given.

Being a friend to others who believe differently is essential. Do you value converts over conversation? Are you a confidant with ulterior motives? Or can you simply be a pal? Christians are so quick to become enraged with the state of the world. Many blow gaskets due to the inordinate number of people who “smoke, drink, cuss and chew.” Here’s a tip that makes life a whole lot easier: Do not expect people who are not Christians to live as Christians.

If a person has chosen not to live their life by the teachings of Jesus, then how should they live? And how should you treat them? Jesus treated people with dignity and respect. If you are unhappy with the state of the union, then do something about besides complaining. Get involved with politics or education. Become a writer (hopefully better than this rambling one) or a business owner. For Christ’s sake (literally) do something, anything. Just don't whine about how bad things are "out there."

There is nothing more spiritual than obeying God. Period. Whether you are a pastor or a plumber, just be obedient. Don’t fall into the lie that there are certain occupations that are more spiritual than others.

Please, inhale life. Don’t just watch it pass you by.

4 comments:

Craig said...

To kind of piggyback on this post because I am not sure what I have to say relates in neat,easily seen ways. Tom has asked us to read a book called "Blue like Jazz" by Donald Miller and this book is one of those that as I am reading it he gets me angry by the things he is saying and I don't want to continue reading it but I do (maybe because my Pastor has asked me to and I feel like I would be letting God down if I didn't-lol). But then he concludes and I say "yeah...amen." While reading chapter seven entitled "Grace" "The beggars kingdom" there was a section in there that just had me begging an answer. Is this me? So I am going to include the section below. On a personal note I asked this question of myself because since I left BP (and I still feel that was the right thing to do) my financial life has been, to say the least, ugly. I have had to rely on others like never before in my life and it has me questioning my whole perception of who I was as it pertains to giving and receiving charity.


Here it is:

I love to give charity, but I don't want to be charity. This is why I have so much trouble with grace.


A few years ago I was listing prayer requests to a friend. As I listed my requests, I mentioned many of my friends and family but never spoke about my personal problems. My friend candidly asked me to reveal my own struggles, but I told him no, that my problems weren't that bad. My friend answered quickly, in the voice of a confident teacher, "Don, you are not above the charity of God." In that instant he revealed my motives were not noble, they were prideful. It wasn't that I cared about my friends more than myself, it was that I believed I was above the grace of God.


Like Rick, I am too prideful to accept the grace of God. It isn't that I want to to earn my own way to give something to God, it's that I want to earn my own way so I won't be charity.



As I drove over the mountain that afternoon, realizing I was too proud to receive God's grace, I was humbled. Who am I to think myself above God's charity? And why would I forsake the riches of God's righteousness for the dung of my own ego?

rdmeeker said...

Craig,

I wish that this post had gotten the recognition that it deserves so that we could have discussed what the author of that article was saying, but, now, also we could discuss what you've written.

Yes, the author is writing about you. There's no question. You are a strong man and I think that you've defined yourself to some degree by what you've done for others and how God has used you. And I think that's valid. I mean, that's who you are: a kind and devoted friend and a servant to those you know.

But if you're always the one helping, how can others grow in giving? Sometimes you have to accept the help that others are giving because they need to give it.

It'sso much harder to be on the receiving end of things, I know, but it can also be a very sweet experience.

Angie said...

I have been thinking about what to say in response to this comment since you posted it, Craig...but you posted it about the same time that we talked that night at the truck at the restaurant, and I'm having a hard time seperating that conversation from this comment. The two thoughts seem totally linked to me... I just want you to know that I'm not ignoring you, I'm just trying to figure out how the two relate, or DON'T...

Craig said...

I knew that you would see that Angie and I think there is a connection. To what degree I don't know.


Robert what you say is true of me. It is easier for me to know someone then to be known by someone. Does that make sense? In doing that I am willing to do just about anything for anyone I care about, but I am not willing to allow them to do much for me. I have the same reason as thousands of others for this. I just have been rejected or hurt to often and too deeply. With that being said I believe the healing is present and happening or else I wouldn't be talking about it. God has shown me over the last year that it is now time to allow others to be apart of what He is doing in me because in unexplainable ways it is a deepening of my relationship with Him. It's a hard lesson and maybe the last evidence of a truly prideful heart in me (at least until the next thing HE shows me).